Title Tax & Ad Valorem Tax Relief for Non-Resident Service Member
Permanent or temporary Non-resident members of the armed forces stationed in Georgia because of military orders may be exempt from paying ad valorem taxes on certain vehicles.
You must have the following, to be exempt from ad valorem tax:
- A notarized affidavit or letter from your commanding officer stating you are stationed in Georgia. The notarized affidavit or letter must be submitted to a tag office during each renewal period.
- You must be the titled owner of the vehicle; ad valorem exemption does not apply to leased vehicles.
- You cannot claim homestead exemption in Newton County.
- Only ONE jointly-owned vehicle may be exempt from ad valorem tax.
- Your vehicle must be operated in Georgia 100% of the time.
Form PT-472NS must be submitted with the title for newly purchased vehicles