Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 4:45 PM | Closed - 12:45 pm- 2-pm

Choosing an Exemption

Which Exemption is Best for Me?

Play Video

Newton County offers special homestead exemptions to eligible disabled persons and senior citizens. To qualify, you must own and occupy the property as their primary residence as of January 1 of the year for which application is made.

When applying for Income-based exemptions, you are required to submit copies of your federal and state income tax returns, if applicable. If you do not file tax returns, we require you to verify your income. We accept proof of income from the following:

  • social security administration
  • financial institutions
  • pension plans

Applications cannot be processed without this information.


I own and occupy a home in Newton County as my primary residence.

You may qualify for the S1 exemption. Your cars must be registered in Newton County, and you must not claim a homestead exemption on any other property.

I am 62 to 64 years old.

You may qualify for the L3, S6, S8, S9 exemptions. These exemptions are based on age and income.


I am 65 years old or older.

You may qualify for the L3, S4 exemption. This exemption is based on age and/or income.


I am disabled.
You may qualify for L1, S5 exemptions. All disability exemptions require documentation proving 100% disability. Please read the qualifications carefully because each exemption requires different documentation.


I am a widow of an active-duty military officer killed as a result of war or armed conflict.

You may qualify for the SS or the SE exemption.


I am a widow of a peace officer or firefighter killed in the line of duty.

You may qualify for the SG exemption.