Understanding Property Taxes
- Homestead Exemption application deadline: April 1
- 2021 Mobile Home taxes due date: April 1
- 2022 Property Taxes due date is December 21, 2022
2022 Penalty/Interest Accrual
Installments payments are still being accepted with no deadline due date. The last day to pay without penalty or interest is December 20, 2022.
If a payment is late, interest and penalty will be added to your remaining balance.
- Interest of .6458% will be added each month to the outstanding balance, based on O.C.G.A. § 48-2-40. For more information concerning this statute access the following link to the Department of Revenue website: https://dor.georgia.gov/penalty-and-interest-rates
- A one-time 10% penalty will be added on December 21, 2022.
2022 Newton County Millage Rate
Important Note About Mortgage Companies
If your property taxes are held in escrow, we will make the information available to your mortgage company; however, it is your responsibility as the property owner to ensure your taxes are paid.
For questions regarding mortgage companies paying your the property taxes on your behalf, please contact your mortgage company directly (especially, if there has been a recent change in mortgage companies).
Current Status / Balance
To obtain a current status or balance due from the Newton County Tax Commissioner’s office, please call (770) 784-2020 or fax (770) 784-2019.
Written requests may be sent to:
Newton County Tax Commissioner
1113 Usher Street Suite 101
Covington, Georgia 30014
Please supply bill number or map and parcel (for real property) on all your requests. To obtain current balance (generally updated nightly), please click here.