Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 4:45 PM | Closed - 12:45 pm- 2-pm

Mobile Home FAQ

Mobile homes are subject to motor vehicle law for ownership transfers. The same process used to title any other motor vehicle is used to transfer title on a mobile home. For information on how to transfer a mobile home title in specific circumstances, contact us at

Mobile homes are subject to personal property tax and exempt from motor vehicle taxes. Mobile home taxes are billed in January and are due April 1 each year. The mobile home is billed separately from the land it sits on, which is usually billed in August. The tax is calculated by multiplying the assessed value (40 percent of the market value) by the millage rate. For answers to your questions about property taxes on mobile homes, contact us at

Yes, if you do not agree with the value of your mobile home you may appeal the value to the Tax Assessor’s office. The Tax Assessor’s office determines the value of property and handles the appeal process. You have 45 days from the date your mobile home bill is mailed to appeal the value. For more information on property values or appeals, 

No, only real property is eligible for a homestead exemption. Mobile homes are not eligible.

An owner of a mobile home is required to display a mobile home decal by April 1. Failure to display the decal is considered a misdemeanor and the owner can be subject to fines and/or other penalties. Our office will give you a mobile home decal when the taxes are paid. There is a $10 fee for the decal included in your bill. If the decal is lost or stolen, the first replacement can be issued by our office at no charge. If the decal is lost or stolen again a second time, a $10 fee applies for each additional decal.

To move a mobile home you are required to get a relocation permit. If you are moving a mobile home from another county to Newton County, bring the title, a receipt that property taxes are paid and a relocation permit issued by the other county.

Yes, in situations where the owner of the land and the mobile home/manufactured home are the same, and the home is permanent, there is a process to legally combine the mobile home/manufactured home with the land and convert it to real property. This process involves cancelling the motor vehicle title for the home. The process begins with submitting a completed form T-234 – Mobile-Manufactured Home Certificate of Permanent Location to the county tag office. Once this process is complete, the owner can apply for a homestead exemption. We would advise anyone considering this process to seek professional legal advice.

No, you must have a title or title bond for a mobile home in order to register the home under your name.

You can request replacement tittle at Newton County Tag Office.

Regarding the title documents, generally, the owner of the mobile home should provide you an original Georgia certificate of title that shows their name as owner on the front face. The owner(s) should then sign as seller on the title assignment on the back of the title and assign the title to you as the buyer. There are some unique situations where that isn’t true and yet title documents are still properly transferred, such as inheritance or court ordered sales. Also, double-wide mobile homes generally have two titles because the two sides are titled separately. They are typically designated by an “A” and “B” in the vehicle identification numbers. If the mobile home you are purchasing is a double-wide, the seller should give you two titles. If you have concerns about the title documents presented to you by the seller, you can seek assistance at

Of course, we recommend you seek professional legal advice for your mobile home transaction and contact law enforcement if you believe you may be a victim of fraud.

If not paid by the due date, a ten percent penalty (minimum of $5) is added based on the unpaid amount. Beginning June 1, interest accrues monthly. If the account remains unpaid, a tax lien is issued in the name of the owner(s} of record as of January 1. Once a tax lien has been issued, the property is subject to levy and sale at a tax auction.

Take the title to Newton County Tag office to cancel the title.